What is Hand Geometry?
Products > Biometrics >
HandKey > What is Hand Geometry?
Hand geometry measures the size and shape of a person’s hand, including
length, width, thickness and surface area. When the user places his or her hand
on the platen of a device like the
Schlage HandPunch, the device scans the hand to determine if the profile
stored in the system matches the hand on the platen. In many cases, a swipe card
or PIN may also be required to allow access.
• No fingerprint or palm print is stored in the device.
• Data is not shared with any outside agencies or companies.
• Verification takes place in about one second.
• Unauthorized access is eliminated since credentials cannot be duplicated.
• Since the “credential” cannot be lost or stolen there is no cost to
replace lost, damaged or stolen cards or keys.
• Hand geometry accurately identifies the user even if his or her hand is
dirty, wet or injured, or if the device is damp, dusty or dirty.
When you need the highest level of security possible for access control,
are a smart solution. Biometric devices use biological
characteristics like hand geometry to identify the individual user. This
ensures that only the authorized user can access the door, while eliminating
the risks associated with other credentials that can be lost, stolen or
duplicated without authorization.
Schlage HandKey reader measures the size and shape of a user’s hand,
including length, width, thickness and surface area, to verify identity. The
user simply places his hand on the platen then enters a unique PIN number on the
keypad or uses a magnetic stripe card to gain access. The
HandKey does not read fingerprints or palm prints, and works effectively
even if the user’s hand is wet, dirty or injured.
Around the world hundreds of thousands of
are in use, thanks to their unparalleled
reliability and convenience.
- Fast and easy to install.
- Simple, user-friendly enrollment process.
- Verification of identity takes less than one second, making it ideal for
- Durable, low-maintenance design means low total cost of ownership.
- No fingerprints or palm prints are stored in the system and the user
does not leave any trace of his biometric data behind.
Schlage HandKey can be used as a stand-alone device that protects a
single critical access point or integrated into virtually any new or existing
access control system in the market. You can customize security levels, time
zones, holidays and languages based on your unique needs.
Optional access control template management software allows the HandKey
reader to form a system that communicates alarms and transactions in real
time, creates activity reports, enables supervised on-site or remote user
enrollment, and allows you to set temporary access privileges. Environmental
enclosures and integrated heater units keep your HandKey working perfectly even
in harsh conditions.
Schlage HandKey is ideal for applications ranging from universities and
health care facilities to government buildings, airports, and all types of
commercial buildings and offices.